[cisco-nas] 3640 + NM-30DM vs. AS5300

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Apr 18 06:34:57 EDT 2009

Hi,

until 5 minutes ago, I assumed that a 3640 would only be able to handle
digital calls over ISDN (X.75, V.120, PPP).  Then I discovered the NM-30DM.

Now I am a bit confused :-) - so - is there an easy way to find out what
is possible or not possible with the following devices:

  - Cisco 3640, NM-8B or NM-1CE1B, NM-30DM

  - Cisco AS5300, PRI board and modem modules

one thing is quite obvious - the AS5300 doesn't take ISDN BRI lines, and
will scale to much more than 30 modem lines.

But if my requirements are lower, like "a maximum of 30 concurrent
calls, and maybe 10 concurrent modem calls" - will a 3640 do everything
for me that the 5300 would do?

(Yes, we're cheap - the 3640 is there, the 5300 would have to be
bought - but there are more practical considerations, given that the
5300 can't serve BRI lines and we have a few customers that need
dialin-over-BRI because they do not have enough calls to warrant a PRI)

thanks,

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de