[cisco-nas] dial-strings with embedded pauses

Roth, Kevin P. kproth at marathonoil.com
Mon May 4 11:41:39 EDT 2009

I have a Cisco 3845 services router setup to do dial-on-demand routing
using a dialer interface with a "dialer map ip" command to configure the
phone number.  I'm using PVDM2-24DM digital modem cards with T1 PRI
lines for the POTS connectivity, and am connecting to Cisco 1841 devices
out "in the field".

One of my 1841 devices is behind a PBX system, with an extension number.
To dial it from a desk phone, I dial the main office phone, and then
when the automated attendant picks up the line I press an extension
number (e.g. 123) on my phone keypad.  At that point the call is passed
to the extension where the 1841 is plugged in, I can hear a ring or two,
and then the 1841 picks up the line and I hear "modem tones".

In an older system which is just using Motorola modems, we can dial into
a site with a similar configuration by using a dialing string like this:
	ATDT 1-333-555-1212,,,,,123,,123,,123
where the comma's cause the dialing modem to pause in the right places
so that one of the 123's will occur when the automated attendant is
listening, and the connection goes through fine.

I can't find an equivalent "pause" character that works in the Cisco
3845.  We are configuring these connections using commands like "dialer
map ip 1.2.3.4 1-333-555-1212".  I've tried using a left-angle-bracket
(<) as suggested in a few "dialer string" commands.  If I turn on dialer
or chat debugging, it appears that any time I have extra characters
after the actual phone number, the carrier drops almost immediately (1-2
seconds) following the completion of the ATDT command, and the
connection times out.

I've also attempted (though perhaps incorrectly) to use modem-script
and/or system-script commands along with chat-scripts to try and insert
pauses using "\d" strings.

If I dial an 1841 with a dedicated phone number, everything works fine,
so I think the only problem is that I can't figure out how to insert
"pauses" into the dial-string for the PVDM2 digital modems.

Can anyone point me towards the right configuration to use in this case?
Is this even possible?

Thanks,
- Kevin