[cisco-nas] Autocommand PAD over ISDN

Aaron Leonard Aaron at cisco.com
Wed May 13 14:09:14 EDT 2009

>>> How does this play together with the "aaa authentication login ... radius",
>>> that is "which username and password will radius see"?
>>>
>> Well, this is a local username.  I.e. the idea is that with:
>>
>> aaa authentication login ... local
>> aaa authorization exec ... local
>> username 5554446164 nopassword dnis
>> username 5554446164 autocommand telnet 1.2.3.4
>>
>> Then: when a client dials into 5554446164, the session will
>> automatically login as user "5554446164", then automatically execute the
>> command "telnet 1.2.3.4".
>>

> Even more fascinating :-)
>
> I have been a bit out of touch with "dial technologies on routers" for
> the last few years, and the amount of singing and dancing you can do
> with Cisco dial-in boxes keeps amazing me.
>
> (Is there a "book of magic" somewhere?  Of course there's reference
> documentation for all these commands - but that won't tell you what
> magic tricks you can do with the right combination of stuff...)
>
> gert

Well ... I've been pretty much out of the "dial technologies on routers"
business myself, since '03 or so (I now focus on 802.11.)  But generally
speaking, it hasn't changed any since then.

The best general overview of setting up modem services on AS5000 routers
is given in the "Cisco AS5x00 Case Study for Basic IP Modem Services".
This document has alas gone missing from cisco.com, but it can still be
found for the nonce here, thanks to hsdn.org, whoever they are:
http://noc.hsdn.org/files/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_serv/as5800/sw_conf/ax5xip/index.htm
.

That said ... for obscure stuff such as character mode operation (rather
than PPP) ... the best tips are the ones that reside in my private
folder internal to Cisco :-(

Aaron