[cisco-nas] Slips

Joseph Mays mays at win.net
Wed Oct 10 15:28:04 EDT 2012

> So, all other T1s on the 5400 will be synchronized to that source, and anything that takes clock from those T1s should be synchronized.

This is the line I suspect is mistaken. Everything I am seeing indicates that all the other T1's *had better be* synchronized to the same T1 by something external before they ever hit the AS5400, because the AS5400 expects them to agree with the the line that is acting as clock source, but does nothing to synchronize them itself. There is no way to set clocking on them other than "line", so they derive their clocking from the other end, and if it for some reason does not agree with the circuit that is acting as the clock source, you are virtually guaranteed slips.

> That's why I suspect that the system on the other side of T1 6/1 is not actually taking clock from the line.

It is, but it seems clear that the AS5400 is not providing the clocking. It also is taking clocking from the line, and there is nothing in between to set clocking that is synchronized to the other T1's on the AS5400.