[cisco-nas] Invitation to connect on LinkedIn

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Aug 21 19:12:19 EDT 2013

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013, Aaron Leonard wrote:

> If I were consumed by the desire to bring up some kind of digital modem bank
> at a customer site, I think I'd probably go onto eBay and buy a couple
> hundred pounds of AS5300/AS5350/AS5400 hardware.  Rack up half of them, and
> mound up the other half to be used as spares.
>
> AS5300 - 4CT1 - 96 MICA modems - street price $300

I actually suggested that...because AS5300s can be had for nearly free,
but IIRC, IOS support ended some time ago and new/supported hardware was
called for.

> Seems to me that we ought somehow to hold a proper wake for Cisco's digital
> modem business.  And I guess for this list, which started life as as5200 @
> wwa.com ... then became cisco-nas @ external.cisco.com, then moved to
> puck.nether.net.  (Maybe I'm missing a hop in there.)

I was going to ask, at what point do we kill cisco-nas...but regardless of
EOL, I'm sure people will be using digital modems for many more
years...just fewer and fewer people.