[nsp] OSPF and network management

gab jones seun_ewulomi@hotmail.com
Thu, 08 Aug 2002 10:28:24 +0100

Hi Guys,

I just want to thank you guys for your valuable input.

Todd - certainly by going dynamic will ceratinly help reachability and hence
make autodiscovery easier and        adding nodes easier which in turn saves
money and has you rightfully said Time = Money.

Steve - That will certainly bo of real benefit to be able to manage
circuit/router/switch failure if there are redundant or multiple paths to a
detination/network being utilized in the network environment

Rick - yes most certainly this will make the network reroute/converge in
case of a routing change and hence will update NNM topology and map
database. But as you and Todd suggested you wont be utilising the full
benefits/features of ospf in a hub and spoke network becaus ethere will be
hardly any redundant paths. But I think going dynamic will certainly ease
administration as you suggested because this customer have a clas A address
space.

As far as NNM is concerned with dynamic protocols it wont matter to NNM as
long as all routes are being advertised and there reachabilty to each
node/network. The main issue is NNM still as along way to go in
understanding and intepreting how these protocols work e.g network change

regards,
gab