[nsp] MSFC2 128,000 route limitation

Ian Cox icox@cisco.com
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 19:17:51 -0700

At 08:41 AM 8/24/2002 +0300, George Boulescu wrote:

>Some weeks ago we wanted to have a full bgp table in an 6500 (we wanted to
>test if it will cope with it after an 128-to-512 memory upgrade on the
>MSFC).
>
>The machine runs native IOS and has more de 30 bgp peering with a total of
>around 7000 routes.
>
>First we hit it with around 60000-70000 from a border router. The things
>weren't fine but it was almost ok, meaning that we were going really low
>on free memory on the SUP2, which had 128M. At the end of this proces we
>had around 4-5Mbytes free on the SUP2.
>
>My questions are:
>
>- are the prefix-stats using memory from the SUP or from the MSFC ?

prefix stats actually use memory is multiple places.

>- is there any part-number for upgrading the memory on the SUP2 ?

Yes, see
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/cfgnotes/78_12693.htm

>- did anyone tried to install a 512M SODIMM (like the one on the MSFC2,
>I think they are identical) in the SUP2 ?

Yes, they are identical.

>- from the memory consuption point of view, which is using more memory -
>the hybrid configuration or the native IOS configuration ?

IOS for the Catalyst 6000 uses more memory on the Supervisor because it is
treated just like a distributed forwarding card, and has the CEF table
downloaded to it. In CatOS the MSFC2 does not download a copy of the CEF
table to the Supervisor.

>- in this circumstances (with 128M on SUP2 and 512M on MSFC2) what should
>I use if I really want to have the full bgp table ?

If you want to use IOS for the Catalyst 6000 then you need to upgrade the
memory on the Supervisor. If you do not want to do this, then 128Mbytes is
enough memory to run CatOS with full Internet routes.

Ian