[nsp] Re: cisco-nsp digest, Vol 1 #47 - 7 msgs

Ejay Hire ejayhire@hotmail.com
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 15:54:01 -0500

Hello.

You weren't specific about the router you are having trouble with, so I'm
working from the assumption it is a 26xx.

The Easiest method to get a IOS image into a router that only boots to
Rommon>is to upload the IOS across the console cable with Hyperterminal and
Xmodem.  However, this process is VERY SLOW.  At the default baud rate, it
takes about 30 minutes per meg.  (i.e. 4 MB ios image = 2 hours to load)
To do this, Console into the router and at the rommon Prompt type:
xmodem IOS_IMAGE_FILENAME_GOES_HERE
wait for:  Ready to receive file IOS_IMAGE_FILENAME_GOES_HERE ...
and upload the ios image via Xmodem from Hyperterminal.  (Transfer->Send
File-> Filename -> Xmodem -> Send)
Then you wait.  When it is finished, enter:
boot flash:IOS_IMAGE_FILENAME_GOES_HERE

You can speed this process up significantly by changing the console baud
rate before you begin uploading.  On a 2600 or 3600, just type confreg, and
use the menu prompt to change the Baud Rate to 57600 or 115200.  On other
routers, you have to input a numeric value for the config-register.  If I
post how to calculate the config register this message will be very long, so
E-mail me off-list if you have something other than a 2600/3600.  Once you
change the Baud rate, Re-open hyperterminal at the new baud rate and upload
the IOS image the using the procedure listed above.  After you finish
uploading and before you issue the boot command, use the Confreg utility to
change the baud rate back to 9600.  Changing the baud rate makes the upload
5-10 times faster.  (115200 = 2.5 minutes +/- per mb.)

The Final option (getting around to the answer to your question) is to pull
the ios image from a TFTP server after manually configuring the connection
in Rommon.  To do this, the router has to be able to reach the TFTP server
through the first Lan Port, Fe 0/0 or e 0/0.  (Okay, there are exceptions,
but I'm trying to keep this post under 3 pages..) In Rommon, type:
IP_ADDRESS=171.68.171.0
IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.254.0
DEFAULT_GATEWAY=171.68.170.3
TFTP_SERVER=171.69.1.129
TFTP_FILE=c2600-is-mz.113-2.0.3.Q
SET
(Verify that you entered all of the information correctly)
tftpdnld

I hope that answered your question, please feel free to contact me off-list
if you have questions.

_Plug_
I am an out-of-work CCNP and CCDP looking for a position anywhere in the US.
  I have five years of IT experience, three of which have been in Network
Engineering including a significant amount of BGP and OSPF work.  If anyone
has a position available, (Even a Jr-level position) please email me.
_End Plug_

Ejay Hire
EjayHire@hotmail.com
434-591-4564