[nsp] BVI and CEF together

Adam Atkinson Adam.Atkinson@damovo.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:17:06 -0000

Cisco bug CSCdw86718 seems to suggest that CEF shouldn't be used
on a BVI. Even though the status of the bug is "unreproducible" it
appears to affect all known IOS versions.

I'm trying to do dcef per-packet load sharing across a BVI and another
interface.

per-packet via process switching isn't an option as the BVI includes
gigabit and fast ethernet interfaces, and this would kill the CPU.

This is on a 7500 with RSP8 and IOS 12.1(6a).

CEF seems to be a right royal pain in general: even with identical
cost routes, and identical cef adjacencies, all the traffic goes
one way. People have advised turning cef off and on again and such like,
and I'm doing everything CCO says to do. Do I have to sacrifice goats
at this point?

--
Adam Atkinson, Damovo
t +44 870 4206108