[nsp] From the baby to the beast

Stephen J. Wilcox steve@telecomplete.co.uk
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:16:22 +0000 (GMT)

> > dont forget its only one packet for each flow.. i dont know for sure but
> i'd imagine a single gaming session altho udp is continous and therefore
> only one
> > flow and if you make your cache timeout a little larger than usual (most
> ppl use 1min i believe) that will reduce the amount of accounting also.
>
> Yes it will be, so i'd have to expire active flows in order to maintain
> near-realtime.

how near do you need? even with say a 3 min expiry thats not -that- many flow
accounting packets.. on 5 min your still only the same as the usual period for
averaging bandwidth tho you may have to watch the number of cache entries in
ram!

> > i dont see why the routers cant hack it, guess you can always try it - you
> can turn on the netflow accounting even if your not collecting the data and
> see what
> > the load looks like, be prepared for a quick backout ;)
>
> With the packets from one of the Ethernets on a Transit supplier (i've hit
> well over 100kpps) I maxed out my transit router in terms of cpu \o/

yeah but in how many unique flows, or in easier to estimate terms - how many
distinct users in each expiration interval, somewhat less than 100000 per
minute...

Steve