[nsp] telnet port for aux port

Robert Viau rviau at wcom.ca
Wed Dec 11 20:51:12 EST 2002

Being that the question was "What is it that controls the port one needs to
telnet to ..." I thought I'd expand on this a little :

"Refer to your Router's manual to see how the lines are counted on that
specific platform.  As an example, the Cisco 3640 that is represented in the
following table has four slots and each of those has preassigned line
numbers, as follows:

|                  97-128                   |                    65-96

|                  33-64                     |                     1-32

The interface number of a port in a Cisco 3600 is determined by using the
following formula:

Interface number = (32 x slot number) + unit number + 1

For example, asynchronous port 12 in slot 1 corresponds to interface number
45 ((32 x 1) +12 + 1 = 45).  This is also the line number for the port.
Port 12 in slot 1 is always assigned interface number 45, regardless of
whether the module is slot 0 is a 16-port asynchronous module, a 32-port
asynchronous module, or some other type of module entirely; or even whether
there is a network module in slot 0 at all.  If you move the module in slot
1 to a different slot, however, its interface numbers change."

>From Building Cisco Remote Access Networks, Chapter 4, Page 70

Add 2000 to the "interface number" and there you go.  In the case of lower
end routers where there's only the single Aux port and no support for async
interfaces it's obviously 2001, in higher end equipment that does support
async interfaces it's :

"con        line = 0
tty n       line = n
aux        line = lasy_tty +1
vty n      line = lasy_tty + 2 + m

Where m refers to the number of the vty line."

>From Building Cisco Remote Access Networks, Chapter 4, Page 72

Hope this is of use, to someone ...