[nsp] Local Director

Christopher McCrory chrismcc at pricegrabber.com
Fri Dec 13 09:39:12 EST 2002

Hello...

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 07:10, odusseus wrote:
> > > I have two machines from the same VLAN and same subnet.
> > >

> > You need two VLANs connected via the localdirector.  The localhirector
> > acts as a bridge between the two VLANs
>
> You may answer by:"Well this is the way it is working..."
>
> But I don't understand why I need them in different VLANs! Could detailed a bit?

outside   <-> LD  <->  ServerFarm
             .10       .11 .12 .13

where  x.y.z.10 is your virtual  www.dom.ain
and    x.y.z.11 , x.y.z.12, and x.y.z.13 are your real servers

ip packets addressed to x.y.z.10 hit the LD , the LD mangles the
packet's destination ip address (and MAC address) and sends it to one of
the real servers ( i.e. x.y.z.11) .  the real server's response goes
back through the LD , which un-mangles the packet.

So, you must have two VLANs connected via the LD so that traffic must go
through the LD so it can mangle/un-mangle if needed.

make sense?

NOTE:  you will not be able to "hit" x.y.z.10 from x.y.z.11 as it is on
"the wrong side" of the LD