[nsp] Provide routable IP over dynamic assigned remote link

Dave [Hawk-Systems] dave at hawk-systems.com
Mon Dec 16 15:52:13 EST 2002

An streaching a bit here at the theory level...

We have run into a hurdle with a pop we are running that happens to be virtual
(run though bell, no our equipment).

Connections terminate into an AS5300 with PRIs that happily terminate ISDN
connections have have been doing so for some time.  We have a particular client
that requires static IP addresses (at least 1) and the existing setup only
allows for dynamicly assigned IPs from a block assigned to the NAS.

We have had people ask for this before, but to date they didn't REALLY need
them, just saw it on a feature list somewhere and as such asked for them.

Is it possible to...

Have the ISDN router establish a connection gaining its dynamic IP address, then
establish a VPN connection of some sort over which we could extend the LAN/IP
addresses from one of the datacenters to provide the required IP address(es) to
the client over this pseudo network?  This would solve issues in the future
where one or more routable IP addresses were required.

Another thought would be more focused on what this particular client wants to
do, which is;

"Connect 5 remote users to access a SQL database via Windows 2000 terminal
Services. I will be setting up a W2K server as a router for VPN access and
traffic filtering, hence the required additional IP address for the external
NIC.  I would need you to add a route on your Cisco router to point to this new
server."

I am not a windows guy, but does he require a static IP address, or can we
simply route a DNS entry to his dynamic assigend IP address each time he
connects? Or does Windows/VPN demand to know the IP address.

Appreciate the insight.

Dave