[nsp] NRP1 (6400) 12.2(4)B6, RBE and DHCP relay problem with option 82 support

Kimmo Liikonen kimmo-cisco-nsp@sneezy.phnet.fi
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 17:07:41 +0200

Hello,

We are terminating our DSL customers currently with 6400/NRP1. IOS is
12.2(4)B6 and we use DHCP relay to forward DHCP queries to ISC DHCP-server.
Customers are aggregated with RBE and we limit customers to get only 3 IP
addresses with DHCP option 82. The problem is that _SOMETIMES_ DHCPACKs are
lost. We have traced that DHCPACKs are sent to NRP, but they are not sent
from NRP to customer. Another computer with different IP address/lease works
fine under same DSL circuit. Workaround was to move customer to another NRP
or reload NRP, but this really isn't an option with more than 1000 customers
terminated. I believe this is a IOS bug. We had 12.2(4)B3 before and it had
nasty bug with generating option 82 to DHCP packets, sometimes it generated
duplicate DHCP option 82 (like 00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00 etc).

Does anyone else has run into same problem? and are there any other
workarounds?

| Kimmo Liikonen               email: kimmo.liikonen@phnet.fi  |
| PHNet Internet Services      tel  : +358 3 873 4501          |
| Ilmarisentie 20              fax  : +358 3 821 4555          |
| FIN-15200 Lahti              web  : http://phnet.fi          |