[nsp] Strange MPLS problem

Bruce Robertson bruce@greatbasin.net
Fri, 01 Nov 2002 10:26:08 -0800

I'm seeing a strange (to me, at least :-) MPLS problem.  I'm in the process
of migrating my network to MPLS, so I'm pretty new to this.

When I enable MPLS in my network, I have trouble telneting to a CE router
from Linux machines.  The telnet session will simply freeze forever, after
a random amount of time.  Disable MPLS, or telnet from a BSD/OS machine, and
it works great.  I've checked all the MTU settings along the paths in
question, and they all seem to be correct - I can send 1500 byte ping packets
with the DF bit set.

To summarize:

No MPLS, works great.
Telnet from BSD/OS 4.0.1, works great.
Telnet from Redhat 7.3, freezing problem.

At this point, the only clue I have is that Redhat 7.3 does PMTU discovery,
and I don't believe that the BSD/OS does.  But like I said, I believe my MTU
is correct.  And besides, PMTU doesn't seem to be a factor since the session
freezes after it has been up and running for awhile.

Any ideas?

--
Bruce Robertson, President/CEO				     +1-775-348-7299
Great Basin Internet Services, Inc.			fax: +1-775-348-9412