[nsp] BGP routes received but not used

Jay Ford Jay Ford <jay-ford@uiowa.edu>
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 08:42:31 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Adam Kujawski wrote:
> We have a 3660 running 12.2(4)T3 with 256 MB RAM. We are multihomed to two
> providers, and take full routes from both (about 113000 routes from each
> provider, according to 'show ip bgp sum'). We recently enabled MBGP with
> one of the upstreams. Since that time, we've had to add a default route to
> one of our providers, because routes received via BGP were not always being
> seen.

You might have run into the not-so-graceful transition from the old "nlri"
BGP syntax & the new "address-family" BGP syntax.  The following might be
pertinent:
  http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/prodlit/mcb12_an.htm
  http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120limit/120st/120st14/confmbgp.htm

Watch out for "match nlri" in route-maps in that context.

On the other hand, it might not have anything to do with that.  ;^)

Jay Ford, Network Engineering Group, Information Technology Services
University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242
email: jay-ford@uiowa.edu, phone: 319-335-5555, fax: 319-335-2951