[nsp] BGP requirements

Jared Mauch jared@puck.nether.net
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 17:12:00 -0500

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 09:01:02PM -0800, Z wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 04:41:20PM -0500, Jared Mauch wrote:
> > 	In that case, why do they need full routes?
> >
> > 	just take default from each provider or some set of
> > their providers routes.
>
>   Is there a standard practice/config for this setup?  I've
> configured enough for accepting full routing tables, but not sure on
> how to accept just a minimal amount of routes and what those routes
> should be to get away with having sane failover on less than 256MB
> of memory routing hardware.   I would just be running BGP with that
> one provider, as I'm not running BGP with our colocation provider
> and hadn't any plans to do so.
>
>   Does this all sound like nonsense, or is this fairly standard?

	there are several approaches to this:

	1) providers can send you only their customer routes plus a default
route.  this way you can always do a closest-exit type routing that
might make sense then just send it to default.

	2) providers send you full routes and you  filter
based on communities that they send you.

	- jared