[nsp] Catalyst 4506 comparison with 6506

Charlie Winckless CharlieW@netarch.com
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 08:09:08 -0700

The 4506 will do L3, with the S3 -- and with the
4500 series, they now have 1:1 redundancy on
the power supplies in most situations (in heavy
IP telephony use, you may need more than the
2800W power supply.

I'd also look at the 4507R; I've been favourably
impressed with them, since they can do redundany
SUps.

I, personally, despise L3 on anything less than
an S3, and see no reason to get a 4006 over a
4506 at this stage either.

The big caveat here is that the 'feature' licence
to do any reasonable routing protocol is another
$10k (since it's just to match Extreme, etc, in
this market space), and I don't /think/ they do
BGP

-- Charlie