[nsp] OSPF load balancing

Ryan Roylance ryan@opsource.net
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:45:41 -0800

I have a design with 2 routers and two frame relay connections (1.5)

         172.17.0.0/16       RA-----------a----------------RB
172.18.0.0/16
                             RA-----------b----------------RB

I am running a single OSPF area utilizing the multiple path equal cost
load balancing.  RA and RB are both Cisco 2621 routers.

The question is this, by default the equal cost load balancing is per
destination, so Im not getting a perfect balance,  I have a couple of
servers on each side that see heavy traffic and they keep on ending up
on the same link which defeats the purpose of having two lines.  When I
switch to per packet load balancing the CPU on the routers goes way up
(from 8% over 5 minutes to 25% over 5 minutes) and the performance drops
( I went from capping 1 at 1.5 to pushing 400 on each)  What solutions
have people used in the past to make things like this happen?  Are the
2621's underpowered for what Im trying to do?

thanks
ryan

Ryan Roylance
Technical Operations Manager