[nsp] RIB failure when using backdoor network

Tim Devries zsolutions@cogeco.ca
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 22:00:48 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gert Doering" <gert@greenie.muc.de>
To: "Jared Mauch" <jared@puck.nether.net>
Cc: "Gert Doering" <gert@greenie.muc.de>; "Ilker TEMIR" <itemir@cisco.com>;
"Tim Devries" <zsolutions@cogeco.ca>; <Scott.Keoseyan@BroadWing.com>;
<cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 2:27 PM
Subject: Re: [nsp] RIB failure when using backdoor network

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 05:20:37PM -0500, Jared Mauch wrote:
> > I was meaning to convey the fact that 12.2 is in no way equal to
> > or better than 12.0 at all.
> [..]
> > Cisco has
> >
> > 12.0
> > 12.1
> > 12.2
> >
> > 12.2 is 'newer' in a way, but in no way contains everything
> > contained in previous versions.
>
> Yes indeed.  I am painfully aware of that.  Add 12.2S into the mix, which
> is likely not to be known to the feature navigator, and all bets are off.
>
> (12.2(11)S being "in existance" but not "publically available" yet...)

For myself, I found the reason for the exact error in 12.2.8T1 was that I
was recieving the default from one ISP and not the other (unamed magior ISP
is clueless and claimed it was sending me a default route - you can only say
'hello, the aggregate is not a default!' so many times before they don't get
it - RE), as a result the static I had configured was not pointing at the
same next hop as the default from the other ISP, and when I changed it to
point to the ISP I *was* receiving the default from, there was no conflict
in the RIB and hence no error.

Thx,

-Tim