[nsp] 7600 IOS SLB/WCCP for transparent cache

Lincoln Dale ltd@cisco.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 14:05:10 +1100

if your caching vendor supports both the L2-redirect and "Mask Assignment"
method of WCCP, and you at least have a Supervisor 2, WCCP can be processed
entirely in hardware (in the PFC).
under the above scenario, none of those packets would touch any
software-forwarding path at all.

for WCCP, assuming a recent version of IOS, you end up of a matrix as follows:

WCCPv2:
Supervisor      Redirect_Method Hash_Method     Forwarding_Path_Used
----------      ------------            ----------
-----------------
Sup1            GRE                     XOR             Software-switched
on MSFC
Sup1            L2 Rewrite              XOR             MLS; first-packet
in s/w, subsequent packets hardware switched (flow)

Sup2            GRE                     XOR             Software-switched
on MSFC
Sup2            GRE                     Mask Assign     Software-switched
on MSFC
Sup2            L2 Rewrite              XOR             MLS; first-packet
in s/w, subsequent packets hardware switched (flow)
Sup2            L2 Rewrite              Mask Assign     Hardware-switched
in PFC

on a Sup2, all non-intercepted traffic will continue to be switched with
CEF in hardware.
in terms of a Sup2 performing MLS-switching of redirected traffic, that
will be using up MLS-cache (hardware-flow-switching) entries on the PFC.

obviously, from the above table, Sup2 + L2_Rewrite + Mask_Assignment is the
ideal solution -- and can scale to the maximum performance of the chassis.

hope this helps.

cheers,

lincoln.