[nsp] RIB failure when using backdoor network

Ilker TEMIR itemir@cisco.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:18:21 +0100

> I was meaning to convey the fact that 12.2 is in no way equal to
> or better than 12.0 at all.
>
> There is no feature-path consistency that other vendors provide.

I would say no.

Looks there is some confusion about the trains

12.0 is Cisco's old General Deployment Release

New features of 12.0 is introduced into a new train, called a technology
train: 12.0T

Since T trains normally have a lot new features they are known to be feature
rich software.

When 12.0T became stable enough it was renamed as 12.1 mainline.

Now 12.1(13) and above is Cisco's current General Deployment Release.

New features in 12.1 mainline (a lot of stuff like QoS etc) went into 12.1T
train.

And similarly when 12.1T has become stable enough it was renamed as 12.2
mainline.

New features to be integrated into 12.2 mainline now goes into 12.2T. It has
a lot of new features and as the name denotes it is a technology train.

There is feature path consistency in 12.0 -> 12.0T -> 12.1 ->
12.1T ->12.2 -> 12.2T trains.

Coming to 12.0S train. It is much more rich than 12.0 train, not
comparable. It is a special train built for service providers. It is known
for stability and 12.0S and 12.2T are completely different. Does not make
sense to compare them directly.

Cisco has a lot of different products. Please remeber, same IOS is running
on very different platforms.

Although looks confusing initially, I personally find this to be much for
flexible.

Ilker

//www.muc.de/~gert/
gert@greenie.muc.de