[nsp] MHSRP problems

Z z@wotb.org
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:03:58 -0800

   In preparation for doing MHSRP for my remote sites, I think I've
found the design becoming really sloppy from a logical standpoint.
So much to the fact that maybe just a redundant cold-standby router
is a better solution.

   Some of the snags I've ran into include:  Internet connectivity
at each of these sites.. for instance one router has an Internet
circuit and the other one doesn't.  If the Internet router blows up
there isn't much MHSRP can do for that because the other router
doesn't have a circuit that can provide Internet connectivity.

   Routing seems to be a mess in an MHSRP environment.

   If you use one layer-3 switch as your default route for your
hosts, there doesn't appear to be a smart way of configuring
separate default routes from that layer-3 switch.. so there isn't a
clean way of separating the default gateways on the hosts in that
sort of environment.

   Anyone else have, or think of some of these problems when
thinking about implementing MHSRP and just bag it entirely?

   What do the experts here think of MHSRP as opposed to just a cold
standby router?

TIA,

.z