[nsp] 82/8 allocated to RIPE

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 17:27:22 +0200 (EET)

On Sun, 24 Nov 2002, Joe Provo wrote:
> If you're not blocking this stuff, you will see the direct cost in
> customer support. If you are filtering, they need to be tweaked only
> on an infrequent basis; there were only three allocations in 2002
> 	69/8 was allcoated to ARIN in aug 02 [nowhere near 5 months]
> 	82/8 was allocated to RIPE in nov 02
> 	221/8 was allocated to APNIC in jul 02
> There were 6 over the course of 2001 [ignoring 24/8 which was only a
> re-alloc for recordkeeping], 5 in 2000 and 2 in 1999. Trivial staff
> cost compred to the reduced supportsecurity/abuse costs.  Anyone who
> can't keep up with that slow rate is more than just asleep at the
> switch.

Another critical thing here is how soon after the IANA allocation these
addresses will get allocated by the RIR, and advertised in the Internet.

My experience is that many ISP's are asleep (put it in once, forget about
them, update only when someone pushes them to it) and it's better not to
encourage these kind of lists without appropriate disclaimers (with
perhaps an announcement mailing-list to join for the updates etc.)