[nsp] uRPF stability on 6500's

Steve Francis steve@expertcity.com
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 09:35:38 -0800

Do people run uRPF on 6500's nowadays, or is it too unstable?

I've had two switch crashes this year directly attributable to uRPF
being enabled.

Last nights looks a lot like CSCdy26060, which is supposedly fixed only
in 7.4 code.

I've seen other posts of people not wanting to hit the 122,000 FIB limit
with uRPF enabled.  (We're at 116,000)

uRPF is a great tool, but it seems the SupII is not really up to running
it with full routes... Anyone know if cisco has plans to address the
reduction in FIB entry issue? (Or stability?)

I think I'm going to have to disable uRPF on all my switches, and start
using Rob's bogon template.  Ugh. (No offense Rob, but I liked the
automagic of uRPF.)

Unless someone can tell me that, say, 6.3(10) has fixed all the issues,
and they can enable/disable uRPF with full routes, willy nilly, with no
impact...   Or has everyone else been bitten too, so no one runs it?
(Its a best practice, according to cisco. But so is keeping the switch up.)