[nsp] Switch Upgrade issues cat1900

John Edwards isplist@adam.com.au
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 11:20:47 +1030

  I have an old Catalyst 1924, and would like to upgrade the firmware on it
so that I can use it in my lab.  Each time I try to upgrade it the switch
refuses the upgrade (it reports no upgrade in progress).  I used to be on
firmware v5.35, but after many attempts at failing the upgrade to version 9,
I tried a smaller update ie to 5.37, which worked fine.  I have 1024Kb of
Flash.  The readme file doesn't indicate any issues.

  Can some one please throw some light on why I cannot upgrade to version
9??

Hi Stavros,

Sounds like you have an 'original' Catalyst 1900, the one with a
nearly-square shaped case and a DB9 console port? It would have a model
number like WS-C1900 or WS-C1900C. The newer ones have the -EN or -A suffix.

That particular model cannot be upgraded past version 5.37. I think it
doesn't support more than 4 vlans either.

The 1900 series has a peculiar feature of identifying the software version
of a flash upgrade as it's uploading, and then aborting if it's not a
compatible version. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to report why it aborts,
which adds to the confusion.

John Edwards