[nsp] ADSL vs. SDSL

Brian Zeitz bzeitz@vikingservnet.com
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 15:37:05 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C26BDD.6B8856A0

=20

I have 2 Verizon DSL lines, one is 1.5M down/128k up. The second is
768k/768k up and down. They both have dynamic IPs. My question is; Are
these
both ADSL lines? My boss thinkins the one 768k/768k is SDSL. I dont
think it
is, first of all, both lines have the same modem. If the one like was
ADSL,
and the other was SDSL there would be a different kind of modem. Or does
SDSL require a modem at all? These are both Verizon lines, but i am
confused
on the naming. On my order it says they are both ADSL lines. Any input
would
be appreciated, is my boss right, or am I right?

=20

According to verizon's website ( I don't take this as the final word
however)

=20

What is the difference between DSL technologies such as SDSL, ADSL,
IDSL, etc.?
  =20
Most small businesses are connected to an asymmetric (ADSL) line. ADSL
matches the Internet utilization of most users by providing higher
downstream capacity for browsing or downloading. Symmetric DSL (SDSL)
is a variation of ADSL, but provides the user with the same speed for
both downstream and upstream applications. Verizon Online Business DSL
portfolio of DSL speeds provides our Business customers with solutions
that meet their specific Internet application needs.

=20

Ok that being said, why can i use the same modem on the ADSL line and
the SDSL line. Why do they make specific

modems for SDSL if they are both the same technology?=20

=20

Thanks,

=20

Brian

=20

=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C26BDD.6B8856A0

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">

<!--
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{font-family:Arial;
	color:windowtext;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->

</head>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt'>I have 2 Verizon DSL lines, one is 1.5M down/128k up. The second =
is<br>
768k/768k up and down. They both have dynamic IPs. My question is; Are =
these<br>
both ADSL lines? My boss thinkins the one 768k/768k is SDSL. I dont =
think it<br>
is, first of all, both lines have the same modem. If the one like was =
ADSL,<br>
and the other was SDSL there would be a different kind of modem. Or =
does<br>
SDSL require a modem at all? These are both Verizon lines, but i am =
confused<br>
on the naming. On my order it says they are both ADSL lines. Any input =
would<br>

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt'>According to verizon's website ( I don&#8217;t take this as the =
final

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt'>What is the difference between DSL technologies such as SDSL, =
ADSL,<br>
IDSL, etc.?<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>
Most small businesses are connected to an asymmetric (ADSL) line. =
ADSL<br>
matches the Internet utilization of most users by providing higher<br>
downstream capacity for browsing or downloading. Symmetric DSL =
(SDSL)<br>
is a variation of ADSL, but provides the user with the same speed =
for<br>
both downstream and upstream applications. Verizon Online Business =
DSL<br>
portfolio of DSL speeds provides our Business customers with =
solutions<br>

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt'>Ok that being said, why can i use the same modem on the ADSL =
line and

style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt'>modems for SDSL if they are both the same technology? =

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size: