[nsp] 4/8OC3x/POS cards for GSR

Chris Whyte cwhyte@microsoft.com
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 11:53:46 -0700

Not sure what cards you're referring to...

First, there's a difference between the "older" 4xOC-3 and the 8xOC-3 (&
16xOC-3). The former is an engine 0 LC and the latter two are engine 2
LCs. Lots to explain between the differences in engine 0 and 2 LCs (in
case you don't know).

Second, there's a newer generation LC (engine 3) LC that has come out
this last year too. My recollection is that there are only 16xOC-3 POS
cards for engine 3 though -- no 8x. Plans and priorities can change
quite quickly so my info might be a bit dated. Again, lots to explain
between the differences in engine 2 and 3 but, in summary, you get a
very programmable forwarding engine with engine 3 (actually two -- one
ingress and one on egress) which will give you more features without
taking a hit, or a very minor hit, to performance.

LC memory is really another issue. You referring to route table or
packet memory?

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Chris