[nsp] C2948 BVI rate-limit issue

sthaug@nethelp.no sthaug@nethelp.no
Wed, 09 Oct 2002 22:20:42 +0200

> We knew that the rate-limiting on subinterface on the 7206 work.
> But unfortunately, we are using a 2948G-L3  for the service right now.
> Does the 2948G-L3's rate-limite function can't work at all ?

We have gotten 2948G-L3 rate limiting to work, with some important
caveats:

1. We couldn't get anything sensible with only one source and one
destination (classic ttcp setup). As soon as we tried several sources
and destinations, things started working better.

2. We only tried rate limiting on physical ports. In general our
experience with the 2948G-L3 is that it works okay as an (L3) router,
and rather poorly as an L2 switch/bridge. Thus rate limiting only on
physical ports, no BVIs.

Nowadays we're trying to move away from the 2948G-L3s - 3550s are
much easier to handle.