[nsp] Limiting Netflow

Bradley Dunn bradley@dunn.org
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 23:03:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Hank Nussbacher wrote:

> No one sent this to me but I just found it so it may be of interest:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/12cgcr/switch_r/x
> swcmd.htm#xtocid6
>
> I just tried it:
>
> TAU-gp1(config)#ip flow-cache entries 30000

I'm not sure if that will do what you want. I think by setting the number of
entries below the default of 64K you might actually increase the volume of
NetFlow export traffic. Flows will be aged more aggressively to keep the number
of entries in the cache down to 30K. You could try increasing the size of the
flow-cache which might reduce the volume of NetFlow traffic at the expense of
more memory utilization on the router.

AFAIK only the GSR supports sampling. Depending on your application router-based
aggregation (version 8) might help.

Bradley