[nsp] Customer bgp setup

James Cornman james@nac.net
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:20:30 -0400 (EDT)

| Dear all
|
| We are an ISP , we are multihomed isp , we have two upstream
| providers . I have /20 block of IP addr, I have configured bgp
| with both of my upstream provider and announced two /21 on both of
| the upstreams for loadsharing and redundancy purposes . Now i have
| connected one of my customer who is having his own one class block
| of IP address . He want to use his own IP block and he is also
| having his own Registered AS no . He wants to setup BGP with us

Sounds good

| .
| What should i do to achieve the same . Do i need to announce the
| IP block of my customer to my upstream provider or the bgp session
| between me and my customer will take care of that ???

Yes. The point of running BGP is to exchange routes. A benefit of that (if
you are provider/carrier diverse) is redundancy and resiliency. The
customer announces the block to you, and then it will get passed on to
your transitors (assuming your or your transit providers filters are not
prohibbiting it to).

Yes, BGP will work perfectly for this scenario adding reliability by
having two providers. That must have been the reason you started to run
BGP in the first place, no?