[nsp] set as-path tag

Jay Borkenhagen Jay Borkenhagen <jayb@braeburn.org>
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 15:52:03 -0400

Hi,

Anyone out there have any experience with Cisco "set as-path tag"?
Cisco on-line documentation sez:

  Converts the tag of a route into an autonomous system path. Applies
  only when redistributing routes into BGP.

My brief lab tests show it working as I had desired with the following:

 - a static pull-up route with tag of the ASN the route is to
   originate in, and
 - a BGP network statement with route-map that includes "set as-path tag"

I am checking with Cisco contacts as well, but while I wait for that
response let me check with you folks, too.  I'm curious how long
that feature has been around, what caused Cisco to put this in (rather
than just making "set as-path prepend XXX" do the job in BGP network
statements as well as inbound/outbound neighbor route-maps), whether
there's any way to specify an as-path longer than a single ASN, bugs,
gotchas, etc.

Thanks.  I'll gladly summarize to the list.

						Jay B.

--
  Jay Borkenhagen     jayb@braeburn.org