[nsp] 7500 insertion force

Gert Doering gert@greenie.muc.de
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 19:33:02 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 09:21:42AM +0100, Kevin Gannon wrote:
> The docs suggest a reboot afterwards just cant find the
> reference now. I think it was in the IMCR notes. OIR
> is evil on 7500's. Was playing with some foundry kit
> yesterday in the lab and at 30second reboots for a full
> chasis and OIR that works one has to wonder why Cisco
> dont follow the lead... 7600's I know improve things likewise
> GSR's but 30second boots hmmm

OIR on the 7200 and 3660 is really cool.  It Just Works the way one
expects it to.  Ditto for the Catalyst platforms.

I'd say the 7500 is just showing its age - when that one was designed,
there was no foundry or the like around to look at their design and
improve it...

Still, if you know about the OIR issues, and watch out for memory on the
VIPs, and don't have too much load, the 7500s are amazingly reliable (at
least for us).

gert

--
Gert Doering
Mobile communications ... right now writing from *Ripe43 / Rhodos / Greece*