[nsp] cannot burst the line

dave o'leary doleary@juniper.net
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 06:16:31 -0700

At 12:48 AM 9/13/2002 +0000, Felix Lee wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>It is a leased circuit.  It can be bursted up to 500K at day time.  But
>the file copying cannot only occupy half of the bandwidth.

Without more details, it is difficult to determine what the issue might
be - similar to the question/discussion posted by Blaz Zupan recently.

  - is there another link/circuit somewhere else in the end to end path
         that is a bottleneck that would cause either TCP or the application
         to throttle back the transfer to 220kb/s?

  - was the TCP window of your system holding the transfer rate to a lower
         value because of a long delay?  See here for some hints for
         understanding these issues (although 220 kb/s is really quite low,
         there are also some pretty poor TCP implementations still lingering
         around out there)
         http://www.psc.edu/networking/perf_tune.html

  - looking at the switching devices in the path (routers, FR switches, ATM
         switches, ethernet switches) - is there some device somewhere that
         is tossing packets?  Is it configured to do so or is it seeing some
         errors in the packets and hence throwing them away?

I hope this provides some hints but again it is difficult to diagnose further
without more information about the network topology and environment.

                                         dave