[nsp] Favorite access lists

Chris Whyte cwhyte@microsoft.com
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 11:24:39 -0700

>=20
> > Hi Sean,
> > I agree that standardization is a good thing, but in all=20
> honesty, I'd
> > rather see ISP cooperation on:
> >
> > - customer anti-spoofing
> > - bogon filters
> > - BGP peer filters
> > - etc...
> >
> > I would think these numbering conventions also tend to break down
> > when working with other gear from other vendors.  A lot can be said
> > for using named ACLs which can provide a quick description of their
> > purpose.
> >
> > -- steve
>=20
> Seriously.  Moreover, assuming a convention where none exists or may
> be applied inconsistently is much more devistating than the incredibly
> marginal amount of time it might take to learn the practices of a new
> employer.
>=20
> No offense, but this notion is a waste of time.

Possibly a disconnect but I wasn't thinking so much about a
numbering/naming convention as I was thinking about the contents of
these filters that follow under the above categories (ie customer
anti-spoofing, etc). Clearly, some progress has already been made in
these areas (eg. draft-manning-dsua-xx.txt -- status uknown to me).

So guys, I certainly understand and agree with your statements but
thought Sean's intention was an attempt to gain ISP cooperation. Maybe I
misunderstood...

Thanks,

Chris