[nsp] Another April Fools

Zach Wilkinson ztwilkinson at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 13:16:17 EST 2003

Switch Fabric Module.  Originally released in
conjunction with the Supervisor2, it facilitates the
direct module to module data transfer (bypassing the
Sup) of dCEF (distributed CEF) as implemented in the
Cat6500.  When used with the Sup2, it requires it's
own slot (5 or 6 on 6506 and 09).  A configuration
with redundant sups and sfms on a 6509 left you with
only five slots for LC modules.  This new sup with
integrated sfm frees up slots.  However, instead of
going into the normal slot 1 and 2 they replace the
old sfm by taking the sfm's slot (5 or 6).

Other list members: please correct me if this is not.