[Re: [Re: [nsp] stupid question]]

Joshua Smith joshua.ej.smith at usa.net
Fri Apr 4 07:43:51 EST 2003

Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de> wrote:
> Hi,
[cut]
> > but i will probably change it
>
> Try to.

changed

> > > Maybe the 10.1.7.* IP isn't visible due to the BGP changes, and thus
> > > it considers the next-hop for the route unreachable.
> >
> > without bgp running is when a host on the 2600A lan couldn't hit a host
> > on the 2600B lan, but the 2600A router could get that host on the 2600B
> > lan just fine - my concern is why the 2600A wasn't following the static
> > route to the 10/8 network which lives on the 2600B lan (except for the
> > 10.1.7.0/24 that comprises the serial link between the two)
>
> I think it is, for some reason, confused about the 10.1.7.2 address,
> and as such refusing the whole route to the 10.0.0.0 network.  If
> the gateway isn't known, IOS can't use the route.
>
> So the default route strikes, and the packet bounces back to your
> firewall.

part of my problem was that the interface on one router was addressed as
a /30 and the other was a /24 - however, that didn't fix everything, with
just the static to 10/8, it still breaks, but i put a very minimal eigrp
config on and it is 'working'.  i have been needing to design and
configure an effective eigrp or ospf network, guess this will add some
extra motivation.
thank you to everyone that replied, i appreciate the help.

joshua

"Walk with me through the Universe,
 And along the way see how all of us are Connected.
 Feast the eyes of your Soul,
 On the Love that abounds.
 In all places at once, seemingly endless,
 Like your own existence."
     - Stephen Hawking -