[nsp] ATM problems (DSL)

Charles Sprickman spork at inch.com
Fri Apr 4 20:54:28 EST 2003

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Chris Roberts wrote:

> > On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Temkin, David wrote:
> >
> > > What's the CPU like on the router?
> >
> > Looking at cricket, about 40% peak time and down to about 20% overnight
> > and weekends.  Packet loss remains about the same.
>
> What routing protocols is this router running (if any?). Look for CPU spikes
> on the router with 'sh proc cpu' run a good few times over a five minute
> period.

BGP and OSPF.  Two BGP peers, total of maybe 20Mb/s.  I've got cricket
looking at cpu and it's not really spiking.  Both of our upstreams are
stable, with no bgp resets.  Our ospf area encompasses only 3 routers, and
doesn't really change.

> This doesn't explain why it may only affect some customers. I'm guessing
> that only certain customers have complained (e.g. those trying to run gaming
> or time/packet loss sensitive applications).

We have about 9 people that have complained.  We have another random
sampling of about 20 customers in smokeping that we watch and it's like
night and day...

Thanks for all the help folks.

Charles