[nsp] Sup 720

Robert A. Hayden rhayden at geek.net
Thu Apr 10 09:43:58 EDT 2003

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Simon Leinen wrote:

> In the 6509, all eight linecards can attach to the 720 Gbps fabric.
> On the 6513, this seems to be true for only five out of 12 slots.
>
> At least that's my reading of the White Paper on the three 10GbE
> linecards.  For the new aCEF720 and dCEF720 10GbE cards, it says:
>
>     Slot requirements:
>
>     Can occupy any slot in any Cisco Catalyst 6503, 6506, 6509, 6509
>     NEB, or 6509-NEB-A chassis, or any Cisco 7603, 7606, 7609, or
>     OSR-7609 chassis; Can only occupy slots 9 through 13 in a Cisco
>     Catalyst 6513 or 7613 chassis.

that mirrors what our sales-droid told us last week, which was rather
irritating since six months previous he sold us a bunch of 6313s.  Seems
every time we turn around on our cisco gear we encounter another exception
to the rule.

That said, we're mostly impressed with the price drop of the 4-port 10GB
cards.  I would have liked to see a higher-density gigabit-port card;
maybe 32-40 gig ports in MTRJ jacks, for example, or using the new
mini-GBICs.

Robert Hayden
University of Wisconsin