[nsp] Sup 720: more Questions

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Apr 10 11:00:38 EDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 05:59:23PM -0700, warner at cats.UCSC.EDU wrote:
> How do I figure out how much power this card (or any other
> 6500 card) takes?  The Configurator program seems to be
> pretty insistant that you should have the biggest of the
> power options to match up with the card -- independent of

	We've been told by our account team that we need to upgrade
the fan tray and the power supplies in order to be able to fully
populate the box.  Not doing so means at a certain point we will
be forced to do it based on linecard power consumption.  They
had a nice matrix avaiable for us to review to determine
when it would be necessary to upgrade.

> (for example) whether you're planning on power-over-ethernet
> on your line cards.  Power budgeting in the 6500/7600 boxes
> seems to be a mystery.

	power over ethernet tends to be a seperate module
that goes into that linecard.

> 2nd Q: While the announcement of the Sup 720 talked about using
> it in the full range of 65xx chassis, the configurator for the
> 6503 doesn't list the sup720.  When will that combo be orderable?
> Will it need a special fan assembly?

	this I don't know.  we only have 6506 and 6509's.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net