[nsp] Re: 7600 on the edge

Dmitri Kalintsev dek at hades.uz
Mon Apr 21 22:36:35 EDT 2003

Hi Steinar,

Thanks a lot for this. Now if you don't mind I'd like to throw a few more
vegetables into this stew.

What about:

- MPLS support with "traditional" GE cards, with no OSMs or SFM?

- FlexWAN modules, in particular with POS OC3 and ATM OC3 modules?

- Behavior under DoS attacks, especially coming via port on FlexWAN?

- Netflow support - does v5 work fine?

- SNMP counter bugs?

- How does the fact of enabling MPLS while carrying full routing table
affect the TCAM?

I'm also a bit concerned about the absence (for a good reasons) of S stream
on this platform.

Thanks!

SY,
--
D.K.

On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 10:19:12AM +0200, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
> > Any *real life* experience running 7600 as a border router with a couple of
> > full BGP feeds (with SupII/MSFC2/PFC2)? Please? :) For the simplicity let's
> > say that we're happy with available interfaces performance/features.
>
> Sure. We're currently running two 6500 (SupII/MSFC2/PFC2, no OSMs) as
> border routers. Memory usage from one of them with 3 full BGP views and
> several partial:
>
>                 Head    Total(b)     Used(b)     Free(b)   Lowest(b)  Largest(b)
> Processor   41E41560   469494432   178717736   290776696   278908456   181201892
>       I/O    DE00000    35651584     8769648    26881936    26311760    26538812
>
> You really want 512 MB on the MSFC2 (though you can get by *for now*
> with 256 MB). This box is running 12.1(13)E, with 30 weeks uptime. We
> also have several boxes with 12.1(13)E1.
>
> No unicast RPF checking due to the size of a full routing table (this
> has been discussed before). On the other hand 6500/7600 is very happy
> to run ACLs in hardware, so you can get most of the uRPF protection
> that way.
>
> We had a 4 port STM-1 OSM that we used for a full BGP feed on another
> 6500. This box was somewhat unstable - probably because it was running
> a much earlier version of 12.1E, in combination with being a VTP master.
> We're moving away from VTP on all our native IOS 6500s. (You need VTP
> transparent mode in any case - on order to handle VLANs above 1005, and
> to handle redundant supervisors.)
>
> We're very happy with our 6500s as border routers. We're trying to move
> all our peerings to Ethernet, and thus see no need for OSMs on these
> boxes. (We have OSMs on other 7600s because we need them for MPLS VPNs.
> However, due to the exorbitant price of OSMs we're trying to limit our
> OSM usage to the absolute minimum. We're looking forward to Sup720 which
> will be able to do MPLS without OSMs)
>
> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no
---end quoted text---