[nsp] oc12 routers

dre andre at operations.net
Thu Apr 24 00:20:58 EDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 09:34:06PM -0700, matthew zeier wrote:
> Aside from the GSR, which routers do folks have OC12 experience with (Cisco
> or otherwise)?
>
> I'm faced with either getting costly maintenance on my existing GSRs (which
> we got for pennies on the dollar) or replacing them with something else.
> Box would only need one OC12 and two GigE.

Both the 7600 OSR and 7300 platforms support OC12 and GbE.  Neither require
exuberant support costs compared to the large per-LC requirement of the GSR.
OSM (7600 high-rate WAN / SONET modules) LC's also require per-LC support
costs, so a 7300 would probably be the cheapest Cisco device supporting your
requirement.  Sorry to say that I haven't worked with it, yet.  GSR's work! ;>

OC12 isn't supported on 7200 (and therefore also 7500, FlexWAN, and RSM/VIP)
routers except as ATM only.

Bill Norton's paper, "Do ATM-based Internet Exchange Points Make Sense
Anymore?" makes reference to using a router with an OC12 (non-ATM) capable
router along with GbE -- including important price comparisons.
http://www.deliandmarshall.com/docs/ATM-based.pdf

Another alternative may be STS-1 mapping to Ethernet with products like the
Cisco ONS 15454.  You can take an OC-12 circuit and map it directly to Gig
Ethernet on both sides of the connection (assuming you control both ends).
Or you could just connect as Gigabit Ethernet in the first place, but I'm
guessing you already looked at that option.

dre