[nsp] oc12 routers

sigma at smx.pair.com sigma at smx.pair.com
Thu Apr 24 08:35:17 EDT 2003

> Aside from the GSR, which routers do folks have OC12 experience with (Cisco
> or otherwise)?
>
> I'm faced with either getting costly maintenance on my existing GSRs (which
> we got for pennies on the dollar) or replacing them with something else.
> Box would only need one OC12 and two GigE.

Pretty much any Juniper will meet your needs and perform at line-rate with
almost any ACL you can invent.  The M5 with OC-12 and two GigE modules is
probably $60K or so; the M20 would be $75K or so but offers more redundancy
and expansion options.  These prices are very approximate (and no, I don't
sell them).

The upsides are the line-rate performance, consistent configuration
language, reliable software, easy upgrades, etc.  The downsides are limited
availability from the used market - meaning you'll pay more for a comparable
system.  I do have a good source for used parts if anyone wants to lower
their costs on Juniper gear.

This is the Cisco list, but you did ask... we moved from Cisco to Juniper
over the last couple of years and have never once regretted it.

Kevin Martin
sigma at pair.com