[nsp] Cisco VPN Client & DNS

Christer Swartz christer at christers.net
Fri Apr 25 20:48:48 EDT 2003

I am having zero success with the new version of the Cisco VPN Client, version
4.0, getting client PCs to be able to dial into to our Cisco 3000 VPN Concentrators,
and being able to update their DNS registration dynamically. Has anyone
seen the same problem, and somehow gotten it to work?

Customers can dial in and successfully get assigned an IP address via DHCP,
but DNS never gets updated dynamically. Customer PC, DHCP server, and DNS
server are all Win2K. It's a pretty generic configuration, with no NAT being
used and no filtering on the Cisco 3000 Concentrators. Everything else works
fine, except for dynamic, client-initiated DNS updates.

Microsoft claims the problem is with the Cisco component, though I don't
see anything obvious what would prevent DNS updates. DNS resolutions work,
so UDP is routing, and the DNS server is reachable via pings & telnets,
etc, but getting the customer PC to update its own DNS entry doesn't work.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Chris Swartz