[nsp] 6509 going to rommon

Benjie Ko gerwalk1 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 27 20:31:44 EDT 2003

Hello List,

Have a 6509 sup2/msfc2 running native IOS 12.1(8a)EX.
It has single AC power supply and couple of gigE
ports.  I have two recent occurences of the router
going to rommon mode. Upon inspection power management
on the sup module goes to red and active light is off.
 Yes, the  6509 is on a UPS.
The router is not sending any logs to a logging server
so cant examine the logs (will set this up).
Reloading on the rommon prompt goes back to rommon
mode. I have to execute config-register 0x2102 and
then boot to make it boot properly.
Unfortunately, upon normal booting, configs are lost.
What i do is copy the backup config from the tftp
server. Is the config still on nvram when booting from
rommon?
Im just backing up startup-config, which file on nvram
do you backup to have a copy on the vlan database ?  I
have to manually re-enter the vlans. Since the 6509 is
the vtp server, how do you manually  increase the
config revision number?
What could cause the 6509 to go to rommon mode?

Thanks.