[nsp] IO-mem

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Apr 28 15:05:47 EDT 2003

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 01:46:34PM +0200, Mustafa N. Deeb wrote:
> is there some kind of an equation of how much you need to dedicate IO
> memory on a router (7200 , 3600)  depending on the traffic going through it
>
> for example 3640 is pumping 15Megs, on 64 megs of RAM , with 32M dedicated
> to IO. is that enough ?

As far as I understand, iomem isn't related to traffic, but to the
specific kind of interfaces that you're using.

I usually don't set up the iomem manually at all, but let IOS decide
(works on 3640, with 12.2 and up, as far as I remember).  It will print a
nice summary at boot time with the NMs configured and the amount of memory
required for each.

> how do you detect a shortage of IO-mem problem on a router?

The router will complain about malloc failures in the log.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering at physik.tu-muenchen.de