[nsp] TCP Intercept

Steve Francis steve at expertcity.com
Tue Aug 5 14:57:01 EDT 2003

Sam Stickland wrote:

>I'm got some questions about the TCP intercept feature.
>

>Secondly, I'm not sure what good it would do to place this on the core
>routers of a large network.

Well, it would make it much easier for people to take down the network.
So it depends who you are trying to do good for. :-)

Generally, hosts (or well tuned modern hosts, at any rate) have much
better Syn flood resilience than you have on your router.
If you enable TCP intercept, you'll just be providing a way for
attackers to take out your core router fairly easily (by overwhelming
its CPU), and causing much greater damage than allowing them to attack
the the host you were attempting to protect.

To protect your routers, either use receive-acl's if your hardware
supports them, or filter, on every inteerface, anything to the routers
own addresses and limit it to your own management networks (assuming
your routers can do that in hardware.)

If neither of the above is true for your hardware, buy new hardware. :-)