[nsp] 12.3T - a niiiiice feature :)

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Aug 6 11:15:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 03:52:20PM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 01:16:35PM +0200, Tomas Daniska wrote:
> > > Why would I want to reload the router apart from upgrading
> > > the IOS image?
> >
> > there are plethory of people who *must* reload on more-or-less regular
> > basis. for *any* reasons
>
> Why?  Reboots are for hardware changes...

	Trying to avoid going into rants on why to reload, etc..

	I see this as something that brings Cisco significant benifit.

	If you're staying on the same software image, you're just basically
starting execution at the beginning of the already decompressed/copied
from tftp/flash/disk.. which is in memory.

	So, you're saying jmp 0x60008BD0 instead of a lot of other
things.  if this also means you don't need to re-init the cybus,
or other things, you can be talking about a significant boot time reduction.

	there are also other reasons besides memory leak, etc.. to reload
routers.

	there are some of us that manage very large router configurations.
something like this would possibly mean if we are making large policy
changes, we would be able to copy from our tftp/rcp server (where the
configuration is generated out of sql, m4, etc.. and is actually the
'master' config, not the nvram ... works well on juniper w/
load override fyi..) reboot and start going rather quickly.

	less reboot downtime means better SLA numbers and happier
customers.  While they still gripe if we schedule a multi-hour maint
window and only use 15 mins of it because things go quite-well,
I do think it will help provide increased overall reliability of the
internet at large.

	This helps us all as people honestly view the internet as
something that needs to be only slightly more reliable than their
electric service these days.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net