[nsp] 12.3T - a niiiiice feature :)

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Aug 6 18:08:59 EDT 2003

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:03:53AM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:
> 	If cisco provided a way to generate your machine-readable
> configuration and ship it to the router and take care of any changes
> (similar to sending a SIGHUP to gated/syslogd/named, etc..) that
> were made, would you shift your paradigm from using the routers
> nvram as the master and automation to keep the router up-to-date to
> using a *nix or other system to generate the configs then feed them
> to the router?

Maybe.  Certainly not immediately, as it would mean "the way people work
has to be changed significantly" (like in "customer gets an additional
network assigned, support technician knows how to add route to cisco
leased line interface").

But maybe eventually, to avoid things like "customer database and
router configuration getting out of sync" (which we currently detect
by "check-config-vs-database" tools), and such.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de