[nsp] 3750 and IPv6

Lars Erik Gullerud lerik at nolink.net
Mon Aug 11 18:52:57 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 16:59, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Cisco marketing hypes the 3750 series as "full hardware IPv6 support"...
> (http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/cat3750s.htm)
>
> Cisco feature navigator claims the only IOS versions available are 12.1AX
> and 12.1EA, neither of which does IPv6.
>
> Does anybody know any further details?

AFAIK there are now IPv6-capable images released for the 3750s yet, but
unlike the 3550s they at least have hardware capable of doing so
whenever Cisco decides that IPv6 is more than some annoying thing they
need to just minimally support so purchasing departments can X off that
point on their checklists.

> Or is this sentence (quoted from above) "IPv6 capable -- Getting ready for
> the future" really meant to be read as "the hardware might be able to do it,
> and if we feel like it, we might even implement it"?

"Customers can deploy the Catalyst 3750 platform knowing it is
IPv6-capable in hardware and as a result can support this protocol _with
a future software upgrade_"

>From the original 3750 announcement:
http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/prod_041503b.html

/leg